NSW Water Information
This web site is provided and maintained by the NSW Government. This privacy statement sets out the Government's practices relating to the privacy of your personal information. Water Information privacy practices are regulated by the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1988 (NSW). Please note that the Government does not have any responsibility for the privacy policies or practices of third party sites linked to the Government’s site.
Under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1988, you have the right to know the nature of the information that the Government collects about individuals who use its web site, for what purpose the information is being collected, and how the information is to be used. You may also request access to your personal information collected by the Government.
If you email the Department, we will only retain and use your e-mail address for the purpose for which you have provided it. It will not be added to a mailing list without your consent.
Site visit data
To help the Government improve its website and provide better services to its users, the Government makes a record of your visit and logs the following information:
- the user's service address
- the user's top-level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc.);
- the address of your server;
- the date and time of your visit to the site;
- cookies are not used from the NSW Water Information site to collect information.
Exceptions to the rule
The Government will not collect, use and disclose more extensive information than stated above except in the following circumstances:
- unauthorised attempts to access files that are not published on NSW Water Information pages
- unauthorised tampering or interference with files published on the NSW Water Information site
- unauthorised attempts to index the contents of the NSW Water Information site by other sites
- attempts to intercept messages or other users of the NSW Water Information site
- communications which are defamatory, abusive, vilify individuals or groups or which give rise to a suspicion that an offence is being committed
- attempts to otherwise compromise the security of the web server, breach the laws of the State of New South Wales or Commonwealth of Australia, or interfere with the enjoyment of the NSW Water Information site by other users
- any other circumstances permitted under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1988